Dealing with Death by Ian Marr

It was three years, two months, and nine days ago that I lost my best friend. He was the full package. He was an excellent listener, always noticing if I was feeling down and trying to cheer me up, and he was never even the slightest bit judgmental. I had been growing up with that cat for fifteen years. When you spend that much time with someone, you forget that there will eventually be a day where you’re not together. Even though we all understand that it is inevitable, death still takes us by surprise whenever we lose loved ones. However, how we choose to act on our emotions when we lose someone close to us determines how we remember them and which memories they leave us with.

For me, death has always left me feeling more confused than anything else. Rather than feeling any significant despair, I’ve simply evaluated how my life will be different without them in it. Maybe it’s painful at times, but they are memories you will inevitably face. Throughout the years, I’ve discovered that death doesn’t necessarily have to be an ending filled with remorse and regret. Rather, it can be a time you can spend reflecting on how someone impacted your life, and how you impacted theirs. And if you find that you were a positive influence on them, you can choose to spread that influence among your acquaintances, friends, and family.