Thin Mints by Jakeia Banks

Amazon.com: Girl Scout Thin Mints Cookies (32 per box ...

I would like to confidently say that Thin Mints are the best Girl Scout cookie ever, hands down, no debate, 100%. Alas, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten any other Girl Scout cookie flavors in my life. But that will not deter me from writing my blog about this magnificent, chocolatey flavor and how it makes me feel.
Okay, the difference between Thin Mints and regular mints is that contrary to the name, Thin Mints do not make your nose tingle. It doesn’t lift up from the roof of your mouth to your nostrils and swirl around your ears. Now, I love regular mints. I use them for when I’m feeling overwhelmed. But thin mints, thin mints, those are fantastic. Sensational. Whenever I eat a thin mint, I feel like I’m the french guy in Ratatouille but instead of being transported to the past, I’m transported to the future.
I can imagine eating Thin Mints in my college dorm, watching Crazy, Stupid, Love just as Jacob and Hanna do the scene from dirty dancing (I love that scene). I can imagine eating Thin Mints after class with my friends, talking about some miscellaneous things we’ve heard and hated. I am excited to eat thin mints after studying for a class I most likely hate.
I can already imagine it now. It’s late October, I’m in Southern California, an official USC Trojan, and I am snuggling up to the life I have dreamt of since I was a child. I’m imagining snow—or maybe just very muggy rain—as I hold a cup of hot cocoa in both of my palms. Maybe I’m watching some sob story of a film, crying my eyes out, trying not to rub my eyes just in case the fairy dust of Thin Mints gets caught in my cornea.
Maybe it’s ten, fifteen years from now, when I’m eating Thin Mints in a luxurious mansion just to remember the good days when I didn’t live in a massive real estate nightmare. I have so many questions for myself then. What will I look like? How will I dress? Oh, do we book the roles we wanted? Do we actually commit to USC? If so, did we meet any really hot people there—because you know what they say about Southern California… (actually, what do they say?)
What makes Thin Mints so perfect, so innocuous, is it’s ability to make you feel as though whatever next step you may take in life is just out of reach. Sure, Oreos and Chips Ahoy are good—but Thin Mints mean something bigger to me. It’s the perfect representation of “What should I do now?” Because whenever I eat a Thin Mint, I dust myself off and suddenly feel like I could do anything I have ever wanted in the history of mankind.
Thin Mints are amazing. They are flavorful, perfectly round, and they are sold by Girl Scouts. I mean, truly the full package.
Now, if you have had thin mints before, let me know in the comments what Thin Mints remind you of. If you’ve never had Thin Mints…. You need to change that. Immediately.

.

11 thoughts on “Thin Mints by Jakeia Banks

1. I love what you did with this. It made my heart warm to read. Excited to see the big things you achieve alongside those thin mints.

2. I will never eat a Thin Mint again without thinking of this blog. Truly, an Ode to Thin Mints. Remember, Keebler makes a fantastic (and less expensive!) knockoff called Grasshoppers. You’re welcome.

3. I agree — Thin Mints are freaking great!! I would really recommend trying the Tag A Long Girl Scout Cookies too if you haven’t yet, they’re my favorite!

4. There is nothing better than sticking a box of Thin Mints in the freezer, and a couple days later, remembering you have them, and pulling a cold fresh sleeve of cookies out of the box to eat. Well, besides Samoas.

5. I get the sentiment, but I just can’t agree with you on THIN MINTS. So many better cookies you could choose as your favorite, smh.