Everything I’m Going to Do to Make This Summer Fantastic by Meg Hahnenberg

Lighthouse

As a senior with approximately 20 days left of school, summer is one of the next big things to look forward to. My workload is becoming lighter, the days are becoming longer, and the overall temperature is becoming warmer. To be quite honest, I don’t think I have ever been so excited for a summer before. I won’t have any school work to do, and I get to spend this last summer at home doing whatever I want with my friends and family. I’m a little afraid that my expectations are way too high for this summer, and that is why I have come up with a list of things I have to do this summer in order to ensure I have at least a little bit of fun. Without any further ado, here are some of the things that I am planning on doing in order to make the most of summer 2023.

1. Spending time with friends – It breaks my heart to think that some of the faces I’ve seen everyday for, well, the last two years I might never seen again. So this summer, I intend to spend as much time as I can with all of my friends from high school.
  2. Spending time with family – I’m leaving my sister behind next year, and I owe it to her to make sure she has an awesome summer too. (OK, I promise only these first two were sad, now onto the fun stuff!)
  3. Reading – I’ve always enjoyed reading and these past couple of months, with the lighter workload, I’ve had the opportunity to read a lot more! If you have any book recommendations, I would love to hear them!
  4. Picking Strawberries – I don’t think I have picked strawberries since I was eight, which is such a shame, because strawberries are my favorite fruit! Fresh strawberries taste so good. I also really want to go blueberry picking but strawberry picking takes first priority!
  5. Baking – Using my freshly picked berries, I hope to bake all kinds of pies and cakes. I used to bake a lot and I honestly find it so relaxing to just pipe frosting on cupcakes for hours.
  6. French Horn – Over two years ago I stopped playing the french horn. I had started playing the french horn immediately after 4th grade and LOVED it. I miss searching for the perfect solo piece, mastering note after note, and affixing my embouchure to play in impossibly high keys.
  7. Painting – This isn’t really something that I ever stopped doing, but rather something that I stopped enjoying so much. With all the pressure I felt in art class, I didn’t quite have the same artistic inspiration that I’ve had in the past. Hopefully, with all of the freedom that comes with summer, I will be able to paint whatever I want, whenever I want!
  8. Roller blading – I’ve always liked roller blading, and I think its time for another go. I also want to go biking a lot this summer!
  9. Packing for college – Unlike my older sister, I plan to start my packing BEFORE the night before I leave for college.
  10. Enjoying boredom – I haven’t been bored in sooo long. With all the work I always feel I have to do, I never have a chance to become bored. This summer I want to kick back, relax, and revel in the consuming, numb irritation of boredom.

This is my current bucket list, and I would love more ideas, so let me know if you have any fun summer activities that I should add to it!

5 thoughts on “Everything I’m Going to Do to Make This Summer Fantastic by Meg Hahnenberg

1. OMG! I will totally be using some of these ideas. Picking strawberries sounds wonderful right now. I cannot wait for summer.

2. Meg, I completely agree! I am so excited to have a summer without homework! I’m also so excited to start planning for my dorm. This is so exciting!!