My Ways to Lock In by Jakeia Banks

Hello, all! It’s been a long time since I’ve blogged. I have been very, very busy. Recently, I wrapped up the last Sankofa performance of my high school career. That was literally electric! Now, I’m involved in our high school’s musical production of Spongebob Squarepants. I highly encourage everyone to come to buy tickets to the show!! 3 of our writing center interns are in it, including me. These past few weeks have been dedicated to Spongebob and getting myself back into the swing of things. I basically hopped from one production into the next one, which has taken quite a toll on my grades and my overall capacity to juggle life. Don’t get me wrong, I love performing and everything, but sometimes I have to take a second and tell myself, “You’re going way too fast.”
With one of my two productions closed and the college process done and completed, I am finding myself trying to “lock in” more. The only thing is I have a horrible attention span and I often don’t know how to sit down and do tasks until my brain tells me that I’ve procrastinated enough and that I should now be ashamed. If you don’t know, “locking in,” basically means focusing extremely to get a specific task or tasks completed. In this blog, I want to share with y’all (in no particular order) some ways I personally lock in to my studies or hobbies.
1. Listening to folklore by Taylor Swift
Okay, now I am not a Swiftie. But I have definitely been tuning into T-Swift ever since the announcement of her tour and Claire telling me about getting tickets. And now I have to say, FOLKLORE IS THAT GIRL! My favorite song on the album is Invisible String. It’s soooo romantic. It reminds me of all the good things in the world. What’s even cuter is that I heard it in a Barnes & Noble with my boyfriend and now that memory is forever linked to that song LOL.
2. Listening to random Rory Gilmore playlists on Spotify
I should preface this by saying that I have never watched a single episode of Gilmore Girls—but it is on my watch list! I love listening to the study playlists full of pop music because it’s so me. I don’t know if Rory Gilmore is a good character, but I feel like I highly relate to her based off of these playlists.
3. Write down my tasks in my many notebooks
In November, I went through this really mind-altering time with the college process. But instead of getting overstimulated with everything going on or with my own thoughts, I hurriedly wrote tasks down in my notebook. These notes are very unintelligible to anyone but me, which makes them even more special. I don’t know why, but writing your tasks down when you feel like the world is going to crush you is so incredibly freeing.
4. Listening to Homecoming by Beyonce
Alright, alright, I know that no one is surprised this is on the list. I am one of THEE biggest Beyonce fans in like, I don’t know, history. I love that woman, but I love the second half of Homecoming even more. One of my favorite songs to get on my grind with is “Top off” which is full of (pardon my french) bad bitch energy—which, duh, it’s Beyonce.
5. Going on a walk before studying
I found out that going on a walk near my neighborhood greatly helps me. I feel like there is definitely some science behind why. I think my neighborhood leads to such great roads in Shaker. But since it’s been so freaking cold recently, I have settled with meditating or listening to my podcasts. One of my favorite podcasts right now is “For the Healthy Hoes” which is on Spotify. Not only is it a podcast by Black creators, but the creator speaks nothing but pure facts! It’s all about conscious living and how to improve yourself. If anyone needs some motivation in the mornings, I highly recommend this podcast! Hopefully, when it gets warmer, I can listen to my podcast while I walk to clear my head.

I hope everyone liked my ways to lock in! Please suggest any of your favorite ways to lock in in the comments. Bye! Love ya!

11 thoughts on “My Ways to Lock In by Jakeia Banks

1. I love making checklists and thank you for the podcast suggestion. The title alone makes me want to listen. I’m also looking forward immensely to warmer, spring days so I can get those walks in.

2. I go for a walk once and don’t get stressed for like three whole days after. This is a good reminder to not do nothing all day.

3. JAKEIA my face LIT UP with a smile when I read that you are turning into a Swiftie!!! That makes me so happy!! Also, a big second to Homecoming by Beyonce, that album always gets me in the mood to do whatever I am doing, whether that is working out or studying or doing whatever. I also have been loving going on walks everyday now, especially with the better weather!

4. Rory Gilmore is the worst and I will forever stand by that. If you are going to watch it be prepared to be frustrated always.

5. As a massive Gilmore Girls fan, can confirm the only way I study is with Rory Gilmore playlists.

6. Rory Gilmore playlists!! I have definitely used them to study before too. I love the idea of pre-studying walks. I am going to have to try that!

7. I can only do math homework when I listen to musical theatre. I have a ginormous 10 hour playlist called “pls don’t judge me”. 10/10 would recommend.