IB? IB. by Carrington Hughes

As my junior year comes to a close, I have begun to reflect on the trials and tribulations I went through as a first year IB student. Everyone told me that this would be my hardest year and although I’ve managed the workload relatively well up to this point, I experienced something last week that had never happened to me before.  Last week, I convinced myself that my schoolwork was optional and this led to me completing absolutely 0 assignments. My days consisted of coming home from school and going directly to sleep, completely ignoring the pileup of assignments that I had waiting for me. I had lost all empathy for my future self, who eventually had to attend a plethora of conferences in order to get her grades back in order. During that week of completing no homework, I was at peace for the first time in a long time. However, like all good things, this peace was short lived, after a sophomore asked me one faithful question: “I signed up for IB next year…am I going to regret it?”.  Suddenly, my trauma had all come back and I was thrown into reality as I had to convince this innocent child that IB wasn’t as bad as it seemed. I proceeded to talk about the great community of IB learners at shaker and how well it prepared you for college. Yet, here I am, months away from applying to colleges, and I feel all but prepared. I fear that the sophomore will remember me next year. I fear that they will get to their lowest point in IB and curse me for selling them a dream. But if I must suffer then the next generation must suffer with me. Anyway, moral of the story is to do your homework and take IB <3