Morning Routine by Carrington Hughes

Like all successful individuals, I decided to develop a simple yet disciplined morning routine that would promise me a productive day. I was desperate to find something, ANYTHING that would stop me from consistently waking up overwhelmed and exhausted. I spent hours mercilessly searching the web for the steps to add to my routine, copying down the techniques that seemed to be most effective. I found myself frequenting one specific website, that had the alleged routines of various famous individuals. I studied the information carefully, mindfully repeating the phrase “If Obama can do it, so can I” , in an attempt boost my own morale. Soon enough, my routine was created. At the time, everything on my list seemed easy enough, waking up at 5 a.m., making breakfast, going for a walk etc. I had never been so excited to wake up the next day. That was, until, the next day actually came.

I slept peacefully, my body was preparing to continue the pattern of hurriedly waking up at 8 a.m. with tears streaming down my face from the anxiety of not being able to find a parking spot. Everything was balanced. Then, the 5 a.m. alarm went off. The night before, I had downloaded an alarm app by the name of “Alarmy” which would force me to do challenges (i.e. math problems) in order to turn off the alarm. There was no snooze button and no way to turn down the volume. Thinking that I had outsmarted sleepy Carrington once and for all, I went to bed confident that I would wake up early enough to execute my new routine. However, sleepy Carrington did not go down without a fight. As soon as Carrington heard the 5 a.m. alarm, she deleted the app without hesitation, not even attempting to complete the challenge. Carrington then proceeded to wake up at 8:30 a.m., since she hadn’t thought to set up any back up alarms. Needless to say, I haven’t attempted my morning routine since.