The Skin I’m In (Literally) by Lindsey Cicero

I consider myself a very confident person. Of course, I haven’t always been the queen of high self-esteem, but for all of my high school career, I have been very happy with who I am and how I look. I know that this is not a very common occurrence for the average high school girl. The weight of society’s views and personal anxieties tends to tear down women young and old. So, you may be wondering how I manage to care so little about others opinions. There isn’t one simple answer to this question. However, one thing I have always attached to my confidence is my skin. Since I was in middle school how good I felt about myself was calculated solely based on how many zits I had on my face. I am lucky enough to have pretty decent skin. I don’t have cystic acne and tend to only get hormonal or stress-related breakouts. Either way, even the smallest zit stays in my mind throughout the day. To combat this anxiety and keep my confidence levels high, I have a skincare routine. I have always loved doing face masks and using other skincare products, it feels so nice to know I am doing something good for my body. It has taken me a few years to figure out exactly what products work the best for my face, and I am going to share them with you now. So, get ready for a step by step skincare routine that you can follow along at home!

*Disclaimer* 

I am not a dermatologist or any sort of medical professional. This routine is just what works for me and my combination skin.

Step one: Preparation.

The first thing to do when you go to wash your face is to tie back your hair. I use my adorable cat ear headband to do the trick. This keeps my hair out of my face (obviously). Nothing is worse than when you get your hair soaking wet while you are simply trying to clean your face.

Step two: Cleanser 

Now that your hair is out of the way, you can do the actual washing. Depending on your skin type use a cleanse that works for you. I use Glossier’s milk jelly cleanser. I have combination skin (some areas of my face are dry, while other areas are more oily) so I don’t want to use a cleanser that is too drying or too oily, but somewhere in between. 

Step three: Toner.

After you have patted your skin dry it is time to tone. Using a toner of your choice wipe it onto your face and neck using a cotton pad. Toners are good for evening out skin tone and minimizing pores. I use Thayers rose petal witch hazel to tone, but other toners exist that work just as well. Just make sure that the toner doesn’t have alcohol in it, that can dry out or irritate your skin.

Step four: Serums.

This step is optional. If there is a specific problem with your skin you want to target get a serum for it. There are serums that brighten skin, moisturize skin, or even help prevent breakouts. This step is optional because a good serum can sometimes be a bit pricey, and they aren’t a complete necessity. I personally use Glossier’s super pure. It is a serum that prevents breakouts and gets rid of redness.

Step Four and a half: Spot Treatment.

This is another optional step. If you have any pesky zits after you use a serum is a good time to use a spot treatment you may have. When I want to get rid of zits fast I use Glossier’s Zit Stick.

Step Five: Moisturize.

Finally the last step. Slap on your preferred moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin you should still moisturize, you just don’t need to use a very heavy one. A big part of skincare is finding what works for you. I use Glossier’s Priming Moisturizer. It has SPF in it so I am protected from the sun, but if yours doesn’t make sure to put on a light sunscreen after you moisturize.

Skincare doesn’t have to be an expensive time-consuming feat. Taking about five minutes out of your day to wash yourself up can make all the difference. With that being said there are a few important things to remember. First, if you are ever trying a new product and it itches or burns, wash it off immediately. I promise itching and burning does not mean it is working. Second, if you are trying new skincare don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work right away. It will take your skin time to adjust to the new products, and you may even break out. Just give your skin some time before deciding if something new is working for you. With those warnings, I hope you can now go and make your zit free dreams a reality.