The Greatest City in the World by Lauren Sheperd

I am a city girl. Some of my favorite places in the world include Chicago, Washington DC, and now New York City. On my short trip to the Big Apple, I was introduced to streets of lights, a dead sea salt hand scrub, and a plethora of pungent odors. But most importantly, I found another place in the world that I loved.

Windows down, Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift (duh) blasting as I cross the George Washington Bridge with my best friend, and we get our first full view of that iconic skyline. After a not-so-excruciating eight hour drive, we had finally made it to the greatest city in the world. The next two and a half days that followed would be unforgettable, exhausting, and for me, life changing. In the short time we were there we managed to squeeze in trips to the 9/11 museum and memorial, a skate under the Rockefeller Center (which we eventually traveled to the top of), a new art exhibit called The Color Factory, and many other iconic New York activities. We even had some New York style pizza (though I will ALWAYS prefer Chicago). Every place I went helped me get further and further in touch with myself. The 9/11 museum taught me not just about a historical tragedy, but the way it brought people together, and continues to do so today. Going to the Top of the Rock showed my just how wide the world was, and how many opportunities there are out there for me. The Color Factory helped me connect with my inner child as I ate a ridiculous amount of sweets and played in the largest ball pit I have ever seen. Even the many disgusting subway rides brought different people into my life, all with their own story that I may never know.

In Empire State of Mind, a song sung by Alicia Keys and Jay-Z, part of the chorus sings, “Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.” After visiting a city that I was expecting to be overhyped, I can agree with this lyric. New York is a place of dreams, imagination, and opportunity, and I cannot wait to go back.