Ah, the holidays. A time of festive activities, being with family, and (of course) baking. Unfortunatley, I’m not naturally talented in the latter category. It seems any cookie, pie, or confectionary recipe calls for a dozen different ingredients, 20+ steps, and you will probably wreck your kitchen in the process. That’s why I’ve abandoned the traditional perimeters of holiday treats and now make puppy chow.
Puppy chow is also known as muddy buddy, monkey munch, or any other regional venecular (but during the holidays, it’s fun to call it Reindeer Chow). It’s a fast and easy recipe that yields a delicious snack everyone can enjoy!
Reindeer Chow Recipe
- One box of Chex mix (normal or any flavor)
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar (use more as needed)
- Put all the chex mix in a very large bowl.
- Mix the peanut butter and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Put in microwave for 30 second intervals until melted into a liquid. Be sure to stir inbetween the 30 second rotations.
- Pour chocolate peanut butter mixture over chex mix, stirring as you pour. Add enough so that every piece is coated, but not too much that you can’t even see the cereal.
- Add in powdered sugar, mixing as you go. Add more than a cup if needed, but add enough that you can pick up an indiviual piece without touching the peanutbutter and chocolate part.
- If neccesary, put in a large gallon Ziploc bag and shake with powdered sugar
- Spread evenly on a cookie sheet, let it sit for a minute, then enjoy!