The Highs and Lows of Fantasy Football by John Stevenson

This NFL season has been crazy, disappointing, and exciting, all at the same time.  For my fantasy football team it has been an absolute rollercoaster, as I am currently participating in a 20 team league that has proven to be very competitive.  At the beginning of our season we had a draft lottery to determine our picks, and I was given the 7th pick as it is very desirable. For my first pick I selected Le’Veon Bell, an experienced running back who just joined the New York Jets in free agency.  Then in the second round I selected The Philadelphia Eagles tight end Zach Ertz because he holds the record for most receptions in a season by a tight end, so he is bound to score points. In the third round I picked the Chargers backup running back Austin Ekler because the starter Melvin Gordon was participating in a contract holdout.  At the end of the draft I had a very solid team as I was projected to score the most points in the league.

Before I knew it, the season started and for the first two weeks my team scored the most points in the league as I absolutely destroyed my opponents.  Week three was a huge disappointment as my team underperformed and in result, lost. That week I made a decision, I had to trade Austin Ekler because I predicted that the starter, Melvin Gordon, was going to come back from his holdout that week. I traded him for the injured Saquon Barkley, who was the best running back in the league before his injury.  Amazingly, two hours after my trade Melvin Gordon announced that his holdout would end, and at that moment I felt like the luckiest man in the world.

I basically had a whole new team after that trade, as Ekler was my star player.  The next 4 weeks would be very tough as I lost 4 games in a row because Saquon Barkley was still injured and on my bench.  These losses were heartbreaking as I lost by 5, .5, 1.8, and 4 points. I felt like my season was over, but out of nowhere Sawuon Barkley announced that he would return from his injury to play against the Arizona Cardinals and I was ecstatic. I would finally end up winning and my record would improve to 3-5.  I still believe in my team, and I can still make a playoff push even though my colleagues in the league heavily disagree. Trash talk has become a huge part of my league, and I probably do the most of it, which is why I hear a storm from everyone else when I lose. All in all, fantasy football has been a blast this year thus far, and I definitely recommend it to everyone that watches football.