The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Maria White

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society is by far one of my favorite books.  Apart from the lovely name there are several reasons why I am constantly rereading this literary masterpiece.  Written by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer, the format of Guernsey makes the pages fly through my hands. Similarly to Dear Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster, the story  is told as a series of letters between different characters. Written in such a format makes the book a more personal account and it gives more voice to the characters, especially the main character, Juliet Ashton. The book takes place after World War 2 and it’s about the correspondence between a young author, Juliet Ashton, and the Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society. What makes the book so wonderful are the characters. As the main character receives letters about the different members of the book club, we fall in love with the characters as she does. As Juliet reads about the crazy antics and solemn trials of the characters, the characters evolve into lovable human beings to both Juliet and the readers. Dawsey, Sidney, Isola, and Eben are the story. They are the reason that Juliet eventually travels to Guernsey herself, and they are the reason that I keep returning to the book.  Returning to the book feels like returning to old friends.

As the main character Juliet is going on a journey, thanks to the format of the book, we’re going on that journey with her. Guernsey is being turned into a movie and I’m both scared and excited. I’m nervous to see how the great characters are going to be changed. Yet, I’m excited. I’m excited to see my literary friends come to life on the big screen. While I can envision the smiles and laughs of the characters myself, I’m excited to actually see it because it extends the story from the page. It gives more life than just the set number of pages in it. A character in Guernsey says that “If I could have anything I wanted, I would choose story without end, and it seems I have lots of company in that,” and I completely agree.